Friday, October 19, 2012

Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata..it means no worries.

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching? I wish that I could have 100% positive outlook every single day of my life. However, I am human and I do not work that way. I have my good and bad days just like everyone else. Thinking posistive can not only bring up your personal morale, but the morale of others around you as well. A friend of mine has sparked the saying Hakuna Matata in me recently. Who could forget that phrase? My generation heard that phrase over and over again while watching Disney's, The Lion King. Wouldn't life be incredible? Timon, Pumba, and Simba singing about no worries for the rest of their days while frollickling around the beautiful lands they live in. Imagine if we could apply something as simple as Hakuna Matata in our everyday lives. Think about it, no worries, simply the positives. In our society, we have many things to quote on quote worry about. Adolescents especially worry way too much about things of little importance. For instance, how many girls do you hear talking about their belly or leg fat, face breaks outs, boys, clothing, and their own status quot? You hear boys express concern about body image as well: six pack abs, defined arms and back, white teeth, and facial hair to prove their manliness. Other issues are strong among adolescents in academic and competitive streaks too. Competition of scholarships for athletics, service, and academics are huge. In our society you must go to college to be successful. College is neither cheap or easy; rather expensive and challenging. I am the first to admit being guilty to falling into societal expectations. Striving to be a positive light, to be different; is socially unacceptable. I want to be different, but I also want to be accepted. This is a conflict, I must choose what I would like to be. "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind," Dr. Sues. That being said, I shouldn't care about what others have to say or think of me because the ones who matter will encourage me to excel in everything I choose to do. Imagine if adolescents broke out of the status quot and chose to simply be the unique selves they were created to be. Wouldn't it be incredible if humans understood that they are completely different from anyone else? That I am unlike anyone else in the entire universe. I may have similar titles and similar interests as others, but me as a whole is unlike anything anyone has every seen before. I am me. I am more than just an athlete, student, daughter, lifeguard, sister, friend, or writer. I am Hillary. I am more than just a short brown hair, green-eyed girl. I am Hillary. I am more than a college student who has big dreams. I am Hillary. The greatest thing about me is that I am different. Hakuna Matata. I choose not to worry about my appearance any longer. I choose to be a good friend. I choose to live above the influence. I choose to be different. Now, I am still human and I will have my bad days; however, I will strive to no longer worry. I choose Hakuna Matata. I choose to embrace myself in every aspect of my being.

What will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment